In 1946, a Sunday School outreach was started by a Mennonite family living in Oxford Village, a public housing development in Northeast Philadelphia. As interest grew for a congregation, Mennonites, with the help of their local mission board, purchased a nearby lot and built the present-day Oxford Circle Mennonite Church (OCMC). In 1999, a leadership change took place which coincided with a time of rapidly changing demographics in the community. In reflection of these changes, more community residents began attending OCMC and we are excited to see God continuing to grow the congregation, both physically and spiritually, into a thriving, community church. Today we are a Christ-centered, diverse community of approximately 100 believers.
Over the past several years, we have become increasingly engaged with our neighbors through hosting a Community Festival and partnering with Oxford Village (public housing site) to provide a children’s Summer Education Program. In addition, our church has served as a host for Narcotics Anonymous, participated in the local soup kitchen, and partnered to provide a neighborhood Farm Market. Through such efforts, our congregation began to see the need to develop a holistic, community ministry to better serve our neighbors. This led to the creation of the Oxford Circle Christian Community Development Association (OCCCDA), which is housed in the second floor of our church building. See: www.occcda.org.